peer mentor profile
Hey! I am Cayt . I am thirty and I have Cerebral Palsy. I am in a power chair and communicate through a communication device, however the disability in no way stops me!
I went through mainstream school, TAFE, and am currently in my fourth and final year of social work at the University of Newcastle.
I believe in equality and work well with people of all different backgrounds and disability.
For fun I like to travel, go to concerts and theatre, go out with friends and play with my puppy.
As a mentor I offer you:
- My experiences as a person living with Cerebral Palsy
- My understanding that everyone with this disability is different
- My experience with assistive technology as well my personal experience with wheelchairs, communication devices, switches, car accessibility etc.
- My experience of traveling with a wheelchair, hotel accessibility and flying when you have a disability
- My skills in rostering and problem solving for managing a team of support workers
- My expertise in navigating various education systems including mainstream public schools, TAFE and university